As a part of Isha’s social outreach programs, Isha Vidhya rural schools have been established in villages (under the umbrella of Isha Education, founded in 2005) to provide high quality school education to underprivileged rural children, who cannot otherwise access or afford it. In addition, in 2012, Isha Vidhya began to carry out critical interventions to improve the quality of education in rural Government schools, for which Isha Vidhya created its ‘Government School Support Program’ (GSSP).
Isha Vidhya schools distinguish themselves, as they:
1) Take education beyond literacy and rudimentary skills.
2) Strive to make children fluent in English and adept in computer skills.
3) Adopt a nurturing approach to education, helping children realize their full potential.
4) Promote education for girls.
5) Increase educational awareness in rural communities while preserving local identities and culture.
6) Equip rural youth with skills to rise above ‘hopeless’ situations of the past.
Isha Vidhya currently operates 9 schools, 8 in Tamil Nadu & 1 in Andhra Pradesh. The schools presently have 8,000 children (46% girls), with about 61% of students on free education supported by donations under the Isha Vidhya scholarship program.
Under the ‘Government School Support Program’, Isha Vidhya has currently adopted 26 Primary, High and Higher secondary schools in Tamil Nadu, which impact over 10,000 children. In Andhra Pradesh, the project carries out direct intervention in 3,000 Government schools in Chittoor district, which are benefiting over 120,000 children and 20,000 Government teachers.
The donation will be used for:
Full educational support
Your donation provides a child with all their educational needs including tuition, books, notebooks, uniforms, transport and nutritious noon meals for one academic year.
Even nominal school fees are beyond the means of some rural families. Recognizing this challenge, Isha Vidhya provides scholarships which cover students’ tuition, notebooks and textbooks for one academic year.
Isha Vidhya functions on a grass-roots level, relying on community involvement and the support of innumerable volunteers and donors. Check our website and learn more about Isha Vidhya. Join us in our efforts to empower the rural youth of India!
- Full Education Support: Rs.26,000/ child/yr.
- Scholarship: Rs.15,000/ child/ yr
- Transport in School Bus (Children come from a radius of about 15 km around the school. Public transport is unreliable or non-existent): Rs. 6,400
- Nutritious noon meal (For most kids, their only nutritious meal of the day):Rs. 4,000 /child/yr
- Any Other Amount (General donations)